Books I Read

posted on: Wednesday, February 12, 2014

  
 
 

I have been on such a good streak with books that I thought I should share what I've been getting into lately. I do this because I know I love reading round ups like this on other people's blogs (Renee and Annie, I'm looking at you) and because it's how I've found so many good reads that end up becoming favorites of my own. I finally, FINALLY read the Anne of Green Gables series which I feel like is supposed to be some girlhood rite of passage I somehow missed the boat on. But, years later, I'm happy to report it totally lived up to the hype. Although they couldn't be more different, I'd almost compare reading these books to the way it felt to read the Game of Thrones series in that you get completely transported to another world. When reading GOT I'd find myself throwing "mayhaps" into everyday real life conversations and day dreaming about life as Khaleesi. With the Anne books I found myself day dreaming about the shores of Prince Edward Island and seriously considering taking up sewing. You really get invested in the story and the characters and Montgomery paints Anne's world with such an idyllic and hopeful brush that you never want to leave. The Anne series is like father of the bride on crack x 100. Meaning: I want to live in that world.
 
 
 
 

After finishing the marathon of Anne books I was looking for a quick read and for something totally different. I went into "If I Stay" with no clue what it was about - didn't even read the plot summary. And holy shit, did this book ever take me by surprise after a few feel-good chapters. Don't get me wrong, I LOVED this book. But whoa, if I had known what it was all about beforehand I probably would have never even read it. I cried so many times. Just burst into tears every few minutes towards the end, but in such a "people can be really good, I love humanity" way. Gah, even just thinking about it now gets me all riled up inside. Apparently, there's a sequel I'm going to need to get my hands on. And also, did you know they're making it into a movie?! (Meet you there! I'll bring the tissues.)
  
 
 
 
 
After having this book recommended to me about, oh, I don't know, a million times? I finally buckled down and read it. It was completely epic and amazing. It has that long, historical plot threadline that was a touch reminiscent of Middlesex and I really, really loved it. I already have Great House in the queue on the kindle all fired up and ready to go.
 

 
Ok, so this is he only dud on the list and I have to be honest with you, I didn't even finish it. Someone, somewhere along the line, recommended it to me. But I found it to just be boring. Admittedly, I threw in the towel three quarters of the way through, so maybe something in the ending makes it fantastic and I'm totally missing out? If you know this to be true, please let me know and I'll finish it. Otherwise, I say don't bother.
 
 

 
 
And then there's this guy. Everyone in the world is talking about this book and I had to get in on the action. I'm still reading it and only about half way through but I'm really enjoying it so far. It did make our trip to the art museum the other day a little uneasy if you know what I'm saying, but otherwise I'm digging it. I'll give you the final review once I finish, but so far, so good.
 
And that's it! As always if you have any book recs you think I should be reading please let me know in the comments below.



2 comments:

  1. I was *just* putting together a little list like this of my own. Hopefully I'll be posting it soon. I loved History of Love too. I tried to read the Great House but couldn't get into it. I think I'll have to check out The Goldfinch too since, you're right, everyone seems to be reading it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, excellent! I'm looking forward to your post and will totally be pinning your latest recommendations for future use ;)

    ReplyDelete

I Am Emme All rights reserved © Blog Milk Powered by Blogger