An Open Letter To My Pump

posted on: Friday, May 4, 2012



Dear Lansinoh Double Electric Breast Pump,

You know, I wasn't so sure about you at first. I knew I wanted to EBF Oren if I was able this time around. Things were going so well in that department that when I had to head back to work after 8 weeks of blissful maternity leave and round the clock nursing, I was sure you were going to ruin everything. I'd never pumped at work before - I thought it would be awkward and time consuming and stressful. I thought everyone would know what I was doing in there and it would be really, super wierd. But guess what? They did know what I was doing in there and guess what else? No one gave a crap. I also worried I wouldn't be able to make it work. I was afraid I wouldn't be able to pump enough to meet my hungry little dude's needs. Or that I wouldn't be able to take the time out of every day to get it done and I was so afraid I would have to supplement.

But we didn't! He never needed a single drop a formula! And it was all thanks to you! Turns out we make a really great team, you and me. And besides washing your millions of little pieces-parts every single day, twice a day...I'm actually going to miss you. We had a lot of good times in that little private bathroom together. I actually kind of began to enjoy those twenty minute breaks in my day where I'd sit down with a good book and relax a little while I pumped...I know...it surprised me too!

But now Oren's one, and he's onto sippy cups and whole milk, and our time together has finally come to an end. And it's really unfortunate because I'm sort of going through an Amy Tan phase right now and this not pumping anymore thing is really putting a wrench into my reading time. But the point is, we made it through the year together. A whole year and we made it work. If you can't tell - I'm really proud of us.

So anyway, I just wanted to say thanks and give you a high five or a fist bump or something because, we did it. We so totally did it.

Love,
me

3 comments:

  1. Stopping by from "Top Baby Blogs" site :) My sister pumped for over a year, and wrote a similar letter. It was a very emotional thing for her to give up, as much as she hated it some days.

    Good for you!!! On to new things!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by and taking the time to comment. I'd love to read your sister's post if you'd care to share the link!

      Delete
  2. Yay!!! Congrats momma!! That's a huge accomplishment.

    And also, I get the most work done when I get to pump. Go figure. Thank goodness I figured out a way to jerry-rig my pump to be hands free.

    ReplyDelete

I Am Emme All rights reserved © Blog Milk Powered by Blogger